Check out these facts from Social Work Jobs in the Federal Government:
- Social Workers are in high demand at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to support troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. The number of positions at the VA increased by more than 650 from 2005 to 2006. Click here to read articles on Help Starts Here's Web site about Social Work.
- In the Department of Defense, the Army, Navy and Air Force each have 200-900 social work jobs.
- The Forest Service (In the Department of Agriculture) employs over 400 people classified as “Social Services Aid and Assistant.”
- The Bureau of Indian Affairs contains the majority of social work and social services positions in the Department of the Interior. The National Park Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service each contain an addional twenty positions in social services.
- The Indian Health Service provides the majority of positions in social work and social services in the Department of Health and Human Services.
- The National Institutes of Health (part of the Department of Health and Human Services) employs more than forty people in social work.
Thank you to all who work and serve our country as social workers in the federal government!